Did you know that chiropractic treatment can help relieve Toronto residents of a chronic condition called TMD/TMJ? TMD and TMJ are often used interchangeably to describe a condition that affects the joints of the jaw. A person who suffers from this problem has a bite that simply doesn’t open and close in a smooth, functional way. Consequently, the individual’s body is constantly reminding him or her of this fact through a wide variety of ailments and symptoms including:
- Clicking noises and sensations whenever the mouth is opened or closed. These may or may not accompany an inability to completely open or shut the mouth. Some sufferers of TMJ and TMD report a “locking jaw” phenomenon.
- Pain in the jaw joint areas, especially upon awakening. Morning pain usually suggests that the individual may be grinding his or her teeth during sleep, or otherwise moving the jaw in an abnormal, unhealthy manner.
- Headaches that radiate through the side of the face and toward the temples. This is due to the jaw incurring forces throughout the day and evening hours. Many times, headaches related to TMD and TMJ are unresponsive to over-the-counter medications like ibuprofen because the problem isn’t solely due to inflammation.
- Earaches that come and go but are not related to infections. Again, what feels like an earache may actually be a response to the ill-fitting jaw joint.
- Discomfort in the neck. Straining to open and close the mouth, or to “unstick” a “stuck” jaw can overexert the muscles and tendons in the neck, creating constant discomfort or achiness.
A Toronto area chiropractor like Dr. Gorchynski at the Bayview-Finch Chiropractic Clinic usually helps patients with TMD or TMJ without the need for invasive dental or surgical action. In concert with a dentist, who can fit the patient with a special night mouthguard, if warranted, a chiropractor can adjust the bones around the TMJ area to help minimize the condition.
As a primary contact health provider, a chiropractor can diagnose TMD or TMJ, he or she can often be a line of defense for the patient who has been living with chronic pain and other issues related to this very common condition. The first step, of course, is reaching out and getting help. From that point, chiropractic intervention using the activator method can make a world of difference.
To learn more about the activator method and the way it can assist the body in naturally healing, or to make an appointment, contact Dr. Gorchynski’s Toronto area office today.