Fall is in full swing—which means after-school sports teams are starting to ramp up and get serious. Whether your child is into field hockey, football, soccer, basketball, or track and field, after-school sports are an excellent way for children to get exercise, meet and bond with new friends, learn the values of self-discipline and practice, and have an all-around good time.
However, high school sports aren’t without their dangers. Any sport is going to have some risk of injury. And while no parent can shield their child from everything, a visit to a North York chiropractic care clinic can help to reduce the risk.
Common School Sports-Related Injuries
The precise nature of the injury risks depend upon the sport that the child is playing, but the most common are strains and sprains, including:
• Ankle sprains
• Knee and shoulder injuries
• Tennis elbow
• Pulled muscles
Thankfully, these injuries most often aren’t permanent, and can often be healed quickly with proper care and treatment in North York.
Keeping Children Healthy
While the odd injury is bound to happen, particularly in competitive sports, a little preparation can both reduce the frequency of injury as well as reduce their severity:
• Make sure your children are properly warming up. Most after-school programs will have coaches making sure that your children are properly warmed up before competing, but it’s important that your child is aware of the importance if they’re ever practicing on their own or with friends.
• Make sure your children know to respect their limitations. Often trying to play through an injury can cause significantly more damage than the initial injury itself. While shrugging off an injury to play one more quarter might work well in the movies, your child should be aware that trying to be a hero for a minute during a game could cause an injury that might irreversibly hamper their game for the rest of their lives.
• Nutrition, Nutrition, Nutrition! If your child is into sports, it’s important that they realize that what they get out of their body is reflective of what they put into it. This can be a great motivator to have your child eat healthy, as well as an excuse to improve the diet of your entire household.
• Keep on top of your chiropractic tune-ups. Chiropractic treatment has a number of benefits to an active child’s athletic performance—as well as their overall health.
How Does Chiropractic Care in North York Help?
Chiropractic care helps young athletes in a number of ways:
• Regular chiropractic upkeep improves overall health, both physiological and neurological. Adjustments can improve reflexes and reaction times, improve blood flow to muscles, and increase flexibility, resulting in both improved performance and a lower chance of injury.
• Chiropractic care provides a safe alternative to dangerous painkillers. For more on how chiropractic care helps with pain management, see this earlier blog post.
• Chiropractic treatment can also improve recovery time from injuries, often avoiding the need for invasive surgeries. Chiropractic treatment relieves pressure from joints and stimulates your body’s natural healing mechanisms, improving recovery times and providing natural treatment for injury.
If your child is participating in after-school sports, help to reduce the potential for injury while increasing their performance. Book an appointment today.