Did you enjoy the holidays a bit too much? Have extra pounds crept onto your frame over the past few years? Whether you want to lose 10 or 100 pounds, your North York chiropractor can be your partner in weight loss.
There are numerous reasons that chiropractic care can contribute to a healthy weight loss regimen. Some include:
• Increasing digestion.When your body is not properly aligned, your stomach, intestines and lower bowels will not function appropriately. Chiropractic structural alignment will aid in digestion of food and drink, and help with more efficient use of the fuel you’re putting into your body rather than storing it as fat.
• Improving center of gravity. As you put on weight, your body’s center of gravity may shift forward and/or to the side to compensate for underlying problems and balance. For instance, a woman who carries more weight may begin to lean backwards, as is often the case during pregnancy, and this puts extra stress on the spine and hips. A chiropractor can restore alignment to the body so that the center of gravity is more appropriately where it should be.
• Decreasing stress. Do you reach for food whenever you’re feeling emotionally unhappy, stressed or anxious? This indicates that you may have high levels of underlying physical stress that can be reduced with the help of chiropractic care. In fact, your chiropractor will likely suggest de-stressing techniques you can use at home.
• Increasing energy levels. One of the first changes that patients under chiropractic care report is an improvement in overall energy. More energy allows them to be more active and exercise a little longer than they might have previously, increasing stamina and a sense of well-being.
• Decreasing chronic pain. It’s quite typical for chiropractors to treat patients who have gained weight because it becomes more painful for them to move. When that pain is decreased or eradicated, they can again start going to the gym, taking walks and enjoying their favorite calorie-burning activities.
It’s important to appreciate that chiropractic care will not help people of any age lose weight if they continue to remain inactive and eat unhealthily. Chiropractic can and should be used in conjunction with other weight-reducing habits and lifestyle changes. For more information on losing weight through chiropractic care, please contact Dr. Gorchynski at the Bayview-Finch Chiropractic Clinic to set up a thorough initial appointment today.