In spite of nearly 2.7 million Canadians being affected by migraines, very little is actually known about the root cause of migraines. As far as researchers are able to tell, it’s a genetic neurological condition in which a trigger (and the precise nature of that trigger varies from case to case) causes intense head pain. And while there are no cures for migraines, researchers have discovered that effective migraine treatment and relief may be as close as your Toronto Chiropractor at Bayview Finch Chiropractic Clinic.
Common Migraine Symptoms
The first step to treatment is identification. If you’ve had a headache accompanied by one or more of the following signs or symptoms, you may have had a migraine:
1. Onset in young adulthood, but also can begin anywhere from teenage to middle age
2. Unilateral, pulsing headache
3. Severe and intense pain, often preventing daily activity functioning
4. Visual disturbances such as blind spots or the appearance of flickering lights
5. Nausea, mild to severe
6. Hormonal changes, about 50% more common in women
7. Triggers such as certain smells, lighting conditions, changes to sleep habits, menses, some medications, stress
8. Extreme sensitivity to light, odors, and/or sounds
Migraine Treatment with your Toronto Chiropractor
Dealing with migraines usually comes down to two elements: identifying triggers so that you can change your habits to avoid them in the future, and seeking preventative treatment to reduce the frequency and severity of migraines when they do occur.
Avoiding triggers isn’t always possible, particularly when they have to do with inevitable elements such as hormone levels and life stress. Thankfully, chiropractic treatment has shown to be an extremely effective form of migraine treatment, dealing with multiple contributing factors such as muscular tension, range of motion, and subluxations.
If you think you may be suffering from migraine headaches, book an appointment for migraine treatment with your Toronto chiropractor today.